OAT PANCAKES WITH CARAMELISED APPLES & CASHEWS (Makes 8 small pancakes)
125g gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats, processed until fine
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of mineral salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, plus a little more for the pans
1 large egg, beaten
125 almond milk, at room temperature
1 apple cored and sliced
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tbsps cashews, roughly chopped
- Pour the ground oats into a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk in the baking powder and mineral salt.
- Make a well in the centre and drop the oil, egg and milk into the well. Whisk the wet ingredients, gradually drawing in the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter.
- Heat two medium frying pans over a medium / low heat and wipe with a little coconut oil. When hot, lay the apple slices in one pan, along with the cashews.
- In the other pan, drop 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a round puddle, adding another pancake if there’s room, and fry for one to two minutes, until the batter is bubbling and set at the edges.
- Flip the pancake, fry for a further minute and give the apple and cashews a stir.
- When they are golden pour in the maple syrup, heat the 30 seconds and then remove from the heat.
- Repeat with the remaining pancakes and serve topped with the apple and cashews.