Spicy Lentil & Buckwheat Pasties
FOR THE FILLING
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 celery stalk (50g), finely chopped
1 small carrot (50g), finely chopped
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
100g Puy lentils, rinsed
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp paprika
200g sweet potato, finely chopped
1 tsp dulse flakes
1 tbsp tapioca starch
- Melt the oil in a saucepan and sauté the celery, carrot, shallot and garlic for 3-5 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add the lentils and spices, stirring to combine evenly. Add the water, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, bring to a boil again, then turn the heat down and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in the dulse flakes and tapioca starch. Let cool while preparing the dough.
FOR THE DOUGH
100g buckwheat flour
60g spelt flour
3 tbsp tapioca flour/starch
50g coconut oil, in solid form
60ml cold plant-based milk of choice
4-6 tbsp iced water
1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the flours and coconut oil together until the mixture resembles small crumbs. Add the milk, and process until combined. Gradually add spoonfuls of the iced water, pulsing as you go, just until the moment the dough forms into a ball.
- Scoop out of the processor and knead with your hands for 2-3 minutes. Form into even balls, and roll out on a well-floured surface.
- Fill half of each round generously with the cooled filling. Fold the unfilled pastry side over the filling and pinch the edges together well, so that there are no gaps. Crimp with the tines of a fork, if desired.
- Place onto the lined baking sheet and continue assembling each pasty.
- Brush lightly with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes.