120ml unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 small apple (about 130g), peeled, cored and cut into quarters
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 cup spelt flour
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
10-12 strawberries, reserve 4 for topping, and hull and roughly chop the rest
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a muffin tin with 8 liners.
- In a small saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, and 2cm of water, cover and steam the apple and sweet potato* for 9-12 minutes until soft.
- Mash the apple with a fork, and reserve the sweet potato for the icing.
- Combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the coconut sugar, flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add the soured almond milk, mashed apple, coconut oil, and vanilla, mixing to combine well. Stir in the chopped strawberries.
- Pour evenly into the lined muffin cups and bake for 15-17 minutes. Let cool completely before icing.
15g freeze-dried strawberries
70g raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours or overnight, and drained
100g sweet potato*, peeled, cut into 3cm chunks
2 tbsp finely grated beetroot
60ml almond milk
3 tbsp maple syrup