1kg small pumpkins or seasonal squash such as acorn squash, kabocha, etc.
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
90g lentils, rinsed
450ml just-boiled water
1 tsp fresh or dried sage
100g cooked red and white quinoa blend
50g fresh spinach, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the small pumpkins on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Wait until cool to handle before preparing.
- In the meantime, in a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and sauté the onion until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the lentils, stirring into the onions. Carefully pour in the hot water, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When cooked, transfer to a bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Add the sage, quinoa and spinach, stirring to combine evenly.
- Cut a “lid” off the upper quarter of each pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into the pumpkins, cover them back up with the “lids” and bake for a further 30-40 minutes. Remove the lids and then grill the top for 5-10 minutes. Depending on the size of your pumpkins, either serve them whole, or cut them in half to share.